Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Somos El Mundo (We Are The World)

I have to post this video for three very good reasons:

1) It's part of the Haiti relief effort and yes, I believe we should always try to help where we can
2) It's a remake of "We Are The World". 25 years later. In SPANISH. awesome
3) Among other well known artists such as Gloria Estefan and Carlos Santana, this remake has some of my favorites such as...wait for it, wait for it...David Archuleta! (yaaaayy! Daveyyyyy!! such a talented cutie pie!) , and Ricky Martin (because he is Ricky Martin. And he is the hottest of the hot. Could it be because of the Puerto Rican blood? Possibly. And no, it's not called racial stereotyping if it's positive...and because I can be totally shallow like that, that's all I need ;-)
Enrique Iglesias supposedly sings in the chorus of this song, but I don't see him in the video. He is, however, in the video for the English language version. what's UP, Enrique?! Is okay, tho...you gave us "Bailamos", so all is forgiven. Also, the ping pong song = love.

Anyway, is good reasons to love, yes? I actually think this Spanish language version of the remake is better than the English one. Even tho I can't understand the individual lyrics (altho I DO know the song, so I get it), I just think it has more heart. And the artists just look really happy to be helping out. Well, with the exception of Shakira, who just looks bored. How do you say "lame ass" in Spanish? OY.

But others were a pleasant surprise. Like Jon Secada. Remember him? What the hell's HE been up to? I haven't seen him since the 90s! Still think he has a great voice...he's probably come out with several Spanish albums by now...I should probably pay more attention. Whoops.

And what's Andy Garcia doing in there? I didn't even know he could sing! Or did they just grab him as a last minute add-in because he has a Spanish last name? No disrespect, Andy...you got mad skills as an actor, baby...loved you in A Bronx's Tale :-P

Also, I swear that one guy looks like Ronnie Millsap! Except I don't think he's Latino? But it totally looks like him...you know, Mr. "daytime friends and night time lovers, they don't wanna hurt the others so they love in the night time and shake hands in the light of day"?
No? Just me, then? Whatever, that was some good stuff...

And that rap towards the end by Pitbul took it to a whole 'nother level. Altho there were some GREAT rappers in the English version, as well (Snoop Dogg, Bizzy Bone, LL Cool J and Kanye West all in the same room? Now that's an accomplishment in and of itself!)

Anyway, because I love this version and because it's for a GREAT cause (all proceeds from the purchase of the video/song of both versions go towards the relief effort), I thought I'd blog about it. I love it when we all just get along ;-)

Cue music and pretty people...

1 comment:

Lani Girl said...

WOW..I'm IMPRESSED with your "BLOGSPOT"..PREEEETY =P. This blog of yours was quite ENTERTAINING..a few tears not just from laughing but the video it just hit the spot in your heart...yeah yeah yeah whatevers...you feel it more here than the english version...WOW DE...A++++...****...BRAVO BRAVO...HANA HOU!!!! =D