Monday, November 19, 2007

time

I met a girl this morning while walking to the corner shop to enable my caffeine addiction

She was sweet and friendly a looked a little like me,

except she reeked of optimism and second chance

She asked me to talk with her about dreams and life,

but as I couldn't quite get past her simplicity and

naively cheerful disposition,

snatched up my sleeve-fitted styrofoam bliss and strolled out
to greet prominence and worldliness, instead


I sat next to a girl today while taking the train into Richtown, USA

She seemed a lot like me except she was one of those traveling types who likes to play,

and smelled of French crepes and Irish glens and had hair the color of New England fall

With a hopeful smile, she asked me to share with her a story or two

but as I needed to keep up with the Joneses,

declined her offer and set out to make my six-figure fortune


I passed a girl today while leaving the jewelry store –

gold bangle daggling from and reflecting sunshine off my wrist

She had my eyes and features, but looked a bit withdrawn and forlorn

She asked me to slow down and take some time

but as I had none to spare,

shunned her request and

moved past her on my way to indulgence and status


I met a woman while on my way home today,

sitting on the concrete stairs of an abandoned building

She was a dead ringer for me except she looked haggard and lost,

her only companion a rusted metal box resting on her knee

"Would you like to see what's inside?" she asked

Before I could protest, feigning self-importance,

she opened the cover to reveal discarded potential, neglected love, and an abundance of tears, selfishness, materialism, lonely wealth and missed opportunities.


With an understanding and sadness reflecting her own,

I asked her name


simple, she said

they call me Regret

No comments: