Monday, November 19, 2007

un-masked

This is a re-post, with a few words changed here and there...for some of the friends I already have, and some I haven't yet met who question themselves and their relationships...I guess at the end of the day, all you can ask yourself is: Am I still willing to dance?

________________________________________________________________________________

In the Masquerade of love

we all dance…

A whirlwind blur of chance and circumstance

where truths are hidden behind painted skin and

smooth, tailored guises


The strings begin and we willingly bind hands and hearts,

heads tilted in laughter and unabashed confidence

Bodies close, destinies entwined,

strangers in step with time

Content with masked perfection and changing melodies


But do we know how long the music will last?

Do we ever know…

How long can we suffer the strong poses and graceful gestures

that hide the lone tear and exhausted smile?


And what of the lull?

The in-between breaths when we are free to choose

another face…a different pace…

more colorful adornments

in favor of the same rhythm and attire


When faced with your choice of masquerades

would you take your last bow and your leave of me?

Or would you stand with me in patient faith

knowing the music would play again and

we could dance once more?

Always once more…


When the last of the strings are stilled of their cadence,

would you withdraw your arms from my hopeful embrace

in search of the next refrain?

Or would you stand, unmasked and unadorned

with your scars and uncertainties

still holding fast to my flawed beauty and muted imperfections?


When the lull begins

can you still feel the music?

Would you still reach for me -

a willing partner to the quell in tempo

and the displacement of steps?


Within the echoes of a quicker pace

and the walled memories of freedom

you will find me still reaching for you…

still willing to dance

No comments: